Beginning of the Semester
Links to Other Information
ESL Lab and Resource Center: Open to classes and individuals, ESL students may listen to tapes and video tapes, or use a variety of career and vocational materials. Hours are posted on the door in Medina hall (M227), or the Lab may be reached by calling 972-238-6901. Instructors may preview instructional materials.
Multicultural Center: Students may get information about financial aid, THEA, test taking skills, academic and career planning workshops, or join an English conversation group. ESL students may request free English testing to determine the program level they would be best suited for. Appointments for testing may be made by calling 972-238-6900. The Multicultural Center is located in Thunderduck Hall (T150).
Inclement Weather and School Closure Policies: It is the policy of the Continuing Education division to avoid cancellation of classes except in the event of extreme weather conditions. The following procedures are designed to allow the program director and the instructor to cooperatively handle the cancellation of classes. The instructor should announce the following policies to their students on the first day of class:
- In the event of snow, ice, tornado, or other severe weather conditions, students should listen to local radio and television stations for the official closure of campus and off-campus facilities.
- Instructors should notify students of the following policies for outdoor recreation classes.
- Decisions to cancel weekday classes will be made by the program director at least one hour before the class begins. Students may call the Continuing Education registration office at 972-238-6145 for information concerning cancellations.
- Instructors are responsible for deciding if a class is to be cancelled for courses meeting on Saturday or Sunday, and are responsible for informing the students when a class is cancelled. Telephone numbers for students may be obtained from the registration staff.
- When instructors cancel classes they are responsible for notifying their respective program director.
Employees call 972-238-6912 between 5:15am and 5:45am any morning you suspect a closing. Students call 972-238-6196.
Health Center: The Richland Health Center is located on the first floor of Thunderduck Hall (T110). The Health Center offers emergency first aid and blood pressure checks to Continuing Education faculty and staff. Minors may not be treated without permission from a parent or legal guardian. The Health Center hours are 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Friday, and they are closed on Saturday.
In case of an emergency the instructor should first call the College Police (x6911), then the Health Center (x6135). All emergency calls for ambulance service will be made by the college police or the college nurse.
Emergencies and Accidents: The College Police Office is located at the Northwest corner of the Crockett building (C192) and may be contacted 24 hours a day at 972-860-4290. Campus police officers are trained to handle all security and emergency problems that may arise. On the first day of class the instructor should be familiar with the locations of the nearest emergency telephones and the closest exits for evacuating students in case of fire or other emergency.
If an accident occurs, no matter how minor, an Accident form MUST be completed and given to the program director immediately. These forms are available in the Human Resource office located in Sabine, S101. This procedure ensures proper follow-through with the person involved in the accident.
Fire Alarms/Drills: At the sound of the fire alarm the building is to be evacuated immediately.
THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS