Decoding is not reading. Reading is thinking. – Chris Tovani, I Read It But I Don’t Get It.
At the Reading Corner we will work with students to make them better "thinkers". Reading is a method of communication that ties into all other forms of communication i.e.- reading for learning, writing and rhetoric.
Our tutors WILL work with you to:
- Establish a purpose for the session. What does the student want to accomplish with their tutoring time?
- Practice critical reading skills. Tutors may assign practice activities to complete and review during the tutoring session. Including:
- Main Idea (implied/explicit)
- Context Clues
- Author’s tone and purpose
- Supporting details
- Organizational patterns
- and more
- Understand classroom reading assignments.
- Support Vocabulary development.
- Provide an opportunity to use academic language.
Our tutors WILL NOT:
- Complete homework assignments.
- Guarantee a certain grade on any assignment.