Minority Serving Institution Convening
Save the Date
The 2017 MSI Convening will be held on Friday, October 20 and Saturday, October 21, 2017 in Dallas, Texas. Richland College in collaboration with the Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving-Institution (AANAPISI) Program is hosting a two day conference for institutions of higher education interested in improving minority student success. The focus of the conference is to convene and discuss effective research, initiatives and programs that impact the academic success of students at Minority-Serving Institutions (MSIs).
In past years, MSI Convenings have focused on best practices and innovation. These areas are vital to improving minority student success. This convening will focus on existing evidence and developing more robust methods for determining success of minority programs and initiatives so that colleges and universities can improve, obtain funding, and effect change at their institutions. To that end, Richland College is hosting a series of annual MSI Convenings designed to shift the focus of MSIs from what we are doing to what we are doing successfully.
Convening presentations will demonstrate data driven or data informed processes that:
- Identify intersections of student academic success and student development.
- Discuss promising scholarship, research and/or practices in proposals that focus on specific programs for various racial/ethnic-based student populations.
- Introduce initiatives or methods to support minority student success in proposals on programs or promising models in student services.
- Describe culturally-infused teaching, learning and student engagement practices in proposals on curriculum and pedagogy.
Proposals are being accepted for workshops that focus on collecting and using data effectively and presentations on successful or developing, evidence-based programs and initiatives. Submit your proposal before the deadline on Monday, June 5.
With great weather and the State Fair of Texas, Dallas is a great place to be in October! The 2017 MSI Convening is free for both presenters and attendees, but registration is required. Use the menu links to obtain information about the convening hotel and an overview of the 2017 MSI Convening schedule. Registration will open on Friday, June 2.
- Asian and Pacific Islander-Serving institutions
- Hispanic-Serving Institutions
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Predominantly Black Institutions
- Native American-Serving Non-Tribal Institutions
- Tribal Colleges or Universities
- Alaska Native-Serving Institutions
- Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions
Information on these categories and a list of institutions that qualify based on enrollment data can be found on this Department of Education website.
For more information or questions, contact the 2017 MSI Convening Chair, Dr. LaQueta L. Wright at Lwright@dcccd.edu or (972)238-6230 (Central Standard Time).
Funded by a grant from the Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution program of the U.S. Department of Education. This program is supported in part (approximately 30%, or approximately $9,000) by a grant (PO31L150024) from the US Department of Education, with the remainder (approximately 70%, or $21,000) provided from non-federal sources.