RCHS Service LearningWhat is Service Learning?
Service Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
Richland Collegiate High School students are enrolled in Service Learning each semester of their enrollment in an RCHS AVID class.What are RCHS student responsibilities?
What is the process each semester for completing Service Learning hours?
- Students complete 15 hours of community service each semester (for a minimum total of 60 hours during their time at RCHS) at an approved community agency; a student starting RCHS in January of their Junior year is responsible for having a minimum of 60 hours by the end of their senior year.
- Students keep reflection-logs in their AVID Binder, relating their community service to their emerging knowledge of social, economic, political, and civic issues; formal reflections are also due at 5, 10, and 14 weeks in the semester. Both the hourly reflection logs and the 3 formal reflections for weeks 5, 10, and 14 are available on eCampus under the RCHS Service Learning tab.
General Timeline for completing 15 hours of Service Learning each semester*
- Registration in an RCHS AVID class automatically enrolls students in Service Learning.
- Once a student is registered in and completes the first day of an AVID class, students should download the liability release form and all other required documents from ecampus under the RCHS Service Learning tab. Once appropriately completed and signed, the liability release form should be given to the student’s assigned AVID instructor for processing.
- After the liability release form has been processed, students will receive an official RCHS Service Learning Time Sheet from their AVID instructor. Students may not begin hours at an agency without this time sheet.
- Only time volunteered at community agencies approved by RCHS and/or listed on the DCCCD Service Learning website will be accepted. A list of community agencies is at https://www.dcccd.edu/ss/studentlife/sl/pages/slagencyguide.aspx.
- Once the above steps have been completed, students may begin working on their Service Learning hours.
- Week 1—AVID classes begin
- Week 2—Turn in all forms to your AVID instructor for approval and processing
- Week 5—Complete a minimum of 3 hours of Service Learning at your approved agency
- Week 10—Complete a minimum of 10 hours of Service Learning at your approved agency
- Week 14—Complete all hours by the 14th week of the semester; time sheet(s) due to AVID instructor
*Specific deadlines for Service Learning may vary depending on fall and spring college start dates as well as high school state exams and other school-related factors. **Make copies of all your hours and reflections to keep for your records.