Statement of Purpose
The purpose of Richland College is to prepare students for successful living and responsible citizenship to build sustainable local and world community. Richland does this by providing accessible, accredited, affordable, cost-effective, quality learning opportunities for development of intellectual and emotional skills, job skills, personal growth, and/or transfer to a baccalaureate program. In fulfilling its purpose, Richland furthers cultural, economic, and workforce development in the communities it serves. In all its efforts, Richland strives to meet the needs and exceed the expectations of those it serves.
Specifically, Richland College’s purpose is to provide:
- freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences for university transfer
- technical programs up to two years in length leading to associate degrees or certificates
- vocational programs leading directly to employment in semi-skilled and skilled occupations continuing adult education programs for maintaining needed workplace skills and competencies
- workforce development programs to meet local and statewide needs
- compensatory education programs to fulfill the commitment of an admissions policy allowing the enrollment of disadvantaged students
- continuing program of counseling and guidance to assist students in achieving their individual educational and career goals
- adult literacy and other basic skills programs for adults
- other programs and courses as may be prescribed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or the DCCCD Board of Trustees in the best interest of post-secondary education in Texas.