Application Steps

We have exciting news for all of our applicants! Applying for an I-20 at Richland College is now easier and faster! We have a new online I-20 application portal where the application and all supporting documents can be submitted electronically. In order to apply, select your application type, scan your documents, and complete your online I-20 application form.

If you prefer to submit an application through traditional postal services or in-person at Richland College, print out an I-20 application packet from our website. Completed paper I-20 application packets will be received only via mail or in person in the Multicultural Center, Thunderduck Hall, office T-150 at Richland College. There is no application fee. Please do not e-mail your scanned documents to the since this e-mail is only for inquiries. To submit an application online, please use the new electronic I-20 application portal.

The following is an explanation of the admissions procedures and documents required of non-immigrant F-1 International Students. You will need to complete and return all of the required documents as early as possible to ensure consideration for admission. Please read the information and follow all instructions carefully and completely. If your documents are incomplete we will NOT process your application for the I-20. Embassies in certain countries require additional processing time for visas, so it is urgent that applications for admission be received in a timely manner.

1. Applying For F-1 International Student Admission
  • There is no application fee.
  • The applicant must be 18 years of age or a high school graduate. The minimum age to apply is 17 with proof of high school (secondary school) graduation.
  • Saudi Arabian students: click here for additional information on SACM procedures
  • For information on programs/majors offered at Richland College (RLC), click here.
  • Richland College does not accept:
    • applicants who need a change of status to F-1 from other visa categories
    • F-1 visa students for the high school program
    • transfer F-1 students who have earned an Associate degree or higher in the U.S.
    • nor students who are out of status and need reinstatement
2. Copy of Identification Page of Passport or National Identification Card
3. Proof of English Proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS)

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores are required for official admission as an F-1 International Student as a college level ready. Please read more about these scores on our TOEFL Requirements page. English assessment (TSI) will be required upon your arrival, as the TOEFL /IELTS scores will not exempt you from the TSI assessment to determine your eligibility for college level placement.

If you are applying for the Intensive English Program (AECI), you will be exempt from TOEFL / IELTS requirement.

Applicants for the Intensive English Program are exempt from TOEFL or IELTS test; however, their I-20 will be issued for Language Training only, with the major: "Second Language Learning".
Upon completion of the Intensive English Program, students will have an opportunity to enter the college level program at Richland College, and their I-20 will be changed to an Associate program at that time.

4. Copy of High School (Secondary School) Transcript or University Transcript

Copies of your High School (Secondary School) or University Transcripts from your country are required as a proof of taking English classes. Grades of English classes must be included. Transcripts must be in English.
English assessment test will be required upon arrival in the U.S. The student will need to place at least in the lowest level of the Intensive English Program of the American English and Culture Institute of Richland College. If scores of the assessment test indicate ability less than the lowest level offered by the Intensive English Program at Richland College, the student will be required to transfer to a school that offers a program with a lower level of beginning English.

5. Official College Transcripts

Official College Transcripts from each U. S. college or university attended. A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for transfer. Coursework completed outside of the United States will require a course by course credential evaluation from an approved DCCCD evaluation service if credit is desired. Please be sure that your transcript is mailed to the Multicultural Center of Richland College, not to the Admissions Office.

6. Evidence of Sufficient Financial Support for the Academic Year

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations require non-immigrant students to verify that they will have the necessary funds available to pay for all educational and living expenses as an F-1 student. Students will need to provide a financial statement with supporting bank documents. All financial and supporting documents must be issued within the last three months. Read more about the financial requirements on the Financial Guide page.

The following documents are required from the sponsor:

  • Current bank statement or bank letter showing a minimum of $18,000 U.S. dollars and issued within the last three months (if providing a business / company bank statement, the balance must show a minimum of $ 36,000 U.S. dollars).
    An Affidavit of Support Form must be completed and signed by the same person who provides a bank statement (names on the Affidavit of Support Form and on the bank statement must match). Additional information, such as a business license or proof of ownership, is needed when providing business bank statements.
  • Affidavit of Support – Form I-134 (If the sponsor lives in the United States). A copy of most recent W-2 form, tax return, or employment verification letter including annual salary may be required. Get Instructions for Form I-134
  • Non U. S. Sponsorship Form (If the sponsor lives outside of the United States)
  • Self Sponsorship Form (If you are sponsoring yourself)
7. Meningitis Vaccination Requirement

All new students under the age of 22 are required by Texas state law to obtain a bacterial meningitis vaccination at least 10 days before the first day of the semester in which they will enroll.

8. Tuberculosis Test Requirement Form

Out-of-country students must undergo testing for freedom from tuberculosis upon arrival in the United States before registration in classes is allowed. Find out more about the Meningitis Vaccination Requirement and the Tuberculosis Test Requirement here.

9. International Transfer Students within the U.S.

International Transfer Students must also provide copies of:

  • Passport, valid for at least six (6) months. (Identification and expiration date pages.)
  • Visa
  • I-94 (Front and back if you have a paper I-94. If you have an electronic I-94, go to ( enter required information and print your Admission I-94 number)
  • I-20 (Pages 1 and 3)
  • Transfer Status Form completed by the school last authorized to attend in the United States.

Note: Richland College does not process changes of status to F-1 from other visa categories. We do not accept transfer F-1 students who have earned an Associate or higher degree in the U.S. Richland College does not file reinstatements for students out of status.

New students outside the United States must submit copies of their visa and I-94 upon arrival at the college.

Original documents must be presented by both transfer and new students for verification.

Before Arrival in the United States

Please review carefully the information on this page regarding procedures after you are issued the I-20.

SEVIS I-901 Fee

Please review carefully the information on the Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee.

For more information, please visit: