Resident Students

Potential Students

The Multicultural Center is the first stop for most students whose first language is not English. We can help you match your needs and goals with the programs Richland offers. If you want to improve your English skills for your job or for general purposes, the non credit program is for you.

To get started, just come by the Multicultural Center, or call us at 972-238-6900. If your goal is a college degree or certificate, the credit program is for you. Richland College is one of the few community colleges in the country that offer English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) as a credit program. Here is why:

ESOL is needed:

Students who immigrate to the United States or come here to study do not always have the English skills required for U.S. College or workplace success. Even U.S. high school graduates whose first language is not English do not always have the skills to satisfy Texas’ requirements. As a result, up to 50% drop out of college!

ESOL is focused:

Academic ESOL develops the speech communication, reading, writing and grammar skills that Richland faculty and research have identified as skills for college success. New and continuing students’ skills are measured carefully, so each student can be confident of taking only the ESOL classes needed.

ESOL works:

Students who take ESOL are the most successful Richland students, according to college research. They make better grades in college classes and are more likely to stay in school.

If you want to enroll in the credit program, just follow these simple steps:

  1. Obtain an application at the Admissions Office (T170) or print an application from the Richland website.
  2. Complete the application and turn it in at the Admissions Office. Admission usually takes only a few minutes.
  3. Take your admission documents to the Multicultural Center, where you will meet with an advisor to:
    • Talk about your goals
    • Schedule an orientation session
    • Decide what kind of skills testing you need and receive a referral for those tests
    • Use your test scores to decide what classes you will begin with and enroll in those classes
    • Get the Meningitis vaccination if under the age of 22.
  4. Pay for your classes at the Cashier’s office or visit Financial Aid if you want help with paying for classes.
Current Students

What to do if you are concerned about your current classes:

  • Talk with your teacher
  • Visit the The Learning Center (M216) for study skills help
  • Talk with a Multicultural Center advisor if work schedule or other concerns are causing study problems

How to get ready for registration:

  • Get end-of-class recommendations from your current instructors
  • Pick up your advising report and green registration/course plan form at the Admissions Office
  • Fill out the back side of the registration/course plan form
  • Take these documents and your student I.D. card to the Multicultural Center for academic advising and registration assistance

How to learn about and apply for Financial Aid:

  • Visit the Financial Aid office at T140
  • Read about Financial Aid in the Richland College website.
Returning Students

Do I need to re-apply for admission?

If you have been enrolled at a Dallas County Community College within the last year, it is not necessary for you to complete an application for admissions. Students formerly enrolled in the DCCC who have not attended a DCCC college for more than one year must submit an updated application for admission to a DCCC admissions office.


Click this link to learn more about this state law.

Do I need to take placement tests again?

If you have been away from classes, in any given skill area, for more than one year, you will be invited to do additional placement testing and/or complete an MC writing sample, in order to evaluate your current skill level.

How can I get financial aid?

Please visit Pay for College for information on how you can get help with paying for classes if you qualify.